Hammer Spikes

All issues related to the Highland Games, throwing, Scottish events/culture/history, etc., and just generally hanging out with friends

Hammer Spikes

Postby Bodyguard00O on Fri May 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason and I became interested in throwing just this last year at the PA Ren. Faire Celtic Fling event. I have since went back home to AK, and have slowly started to build my own equipment to start practicing. After some Amazon orders, many hours scrounging for scrap metal, and time in the shop I have build most of the equipment I need to train with. The only one that I have not made, partly from lack of materials, are my hammer spikes. So I was wondering how long on are the spikes suppose to be? Is there a guideline rule for their length or is it whatever an athlete feels comfortable with? Also what materials are they made from usually?

P.S. Before everybody starts posting about buying them I have looked at the sites, but for shipping to AK you can take that cost and at least double for getting these items to me. That is part of the reason I started building my own stuff, why pay $1000 to purchase and ship it when I can just scrap and find something close.
Bodyguard00O

Re: Hammer Spikes

Postby Rich McClain on Sun May 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Length varies. Mine are about 8" off the toe of my boots. Overall length about 14"-16". I bought stock steel 1 1/4" X 1/4" bar. 3/8" -1/2" Carriage bolts, lock washers and nuts. A Dremel tool with cut off wheels, benzene torch, bench vice and an electric drill. I cut the bars to equal length. Place in vice and heat till malleable and bend to the angles you want. Mine are close to 30 degrees. Cut one end to a point and slightly sharpen. Drill two holes in opposite end about 2" apart. Drill matching holes in the front sole of the boots. Drop carriage bolts through inside of boots, attach plate, lock washer and nuts. Cut off extra bolt length. Replace or get new insoles. You're all set. I'm sure there are pictures out there and possibly a youtube video. Some just have one angle, others like mine, have two.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to General discussion